Kilobot is a low-cost, easy-to-use robotic system for advancing development of “swarms” of robots that can be programmed to perform useful functions by coordinating interactions among many individuals. These swarms are inspired by social insects, such as ant colonies, that can efficiently search for and find food sources in large complex environments, collectively transport large objects, and coordinate the building of nests and bridges in such environments.
Following this inspiration from nature, robot swarms might one day tunnel through rubble to find survivors, monitor the environment and remove contaminants, assist dwindling bee populations in pollinating crops, and self-assemble to form support structures in collapsed buildings. The Kilobot is designed to provide scientists with a physical testbed for advancing the understanding of collective behavior and realizing its potential to deliver solutions for a wide range of challenges.
• Low cost
• Small, only 33mm of diameter
• Fine motor controlling (255 differents power levels)
• The Kilobot can communicate with neighbors up to 7 cm.
• Neighbor-to-neighbor distance sensing
• Ambient light sensing
• RGB led
• Rechargable and amovible battery
• Easy to manipulate, with the Kilobot controller you can program and control hundreds of Kilobot at one time.